1 pound ground beef
1 pound pork sausage
1/3 cup crushed saltine crackers
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 cup chopped onion
3-4 tablespoons of mustard (or 3 big squirts)
2/3 cup ketchup, divided
2 tablespoons A1 sauce (or two big dollups)
- With cooking spray, spray either 2 loaf pans or 1 9X9 pan.
- In a large bowl, mix together the meat, egg, saltines, cheese, mustard, A1 sauce, salt, pepper, and about 4-5 big squirts of ketchup.
- Roll up your sleeves, and mix it all together with your hands.
- Form two equal-sized loaves with the meat mixture, either one in each loaf pan or two side-by-side in the 9x9 dish. *Hint from Alton Brown: don't pound down the meat to make evenly shaped loaves. By just plopping the meat into the pan, the meatloaf will be juicier and less dense.
- Cover both loaves with ketchup, about 3 squirts per loaf. Again, use your hands to smear it so that the loaves are completely covered.
- Cover with foil.
- Bake at 375 for 1 hour 25 minutes, removing the foil for the last 20 minutes.
- Let the meatloaf set for 5 minutes before cutting into it.
And, to make it an extra-easy meal, throw a few baked potatoes in with the meat loaf. They'll be ready about the same time.