Wow. I think I just likened soup to the biblical prodigal son. ouch.
Anywho, here is the World Famous Hearty Potato Soup Recipe
6 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced
2 carrots, diced
6 celery ribs, diced
2 quarts water
1 onion, chopped
6 Tablespoons butter or margarine
6 Tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 1/2 cups milk
- Cook potatoes, carrots, and celery in water until tender, about 20 minutes.
- Reserving the liquid, drain the vegetables and set them aside. (I set my strainer on top of my Pampered Chef super-sized measuring cup to catch the liquid.)
- In the same pot, saute onions in butter until soft.
- Stir in flour, salt, and pepper.
- Gradually add milk, stirring constantly until thickened.
- Gently stir in cooked vegetables.
- Add reserved cooking liquid, 1 cup at a time, until soup is the desired consistency.
- Serve as is, or make it a loaded hearty potato soup by sprinkling crisp bacon and shredded cheese on top.