Well, now I have my own kitchen and my own brood to pass on the Christmas baking traditions. I prefer to make things that the girls can help me make, and it's a little more challenging, what with Maggie's sucrose and lactose intolerance. But, my countertop is getting more and more loaded. Here are two of the favorites from tonight:
1 cup Nestle dark chocolate and mint chips
1 sleeve Ritz crackers
- Melt the mint chocolate chips in the microwave, following the directions on the bag.
- Drop a cracker into the melted chocolate, completely coating the cracker.
- Place the coated cracker on a sheet of waxed paper. Let cool and set up completely.
Forgotten Cookies (Thanks, Alison, for the recipe)
1 egg white
1 pinch of salt
1/3 cup Splenda or sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- Line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large glass or metal mixing bowl, beat egg whites and salt until foamy.
- Gradually add sugar, continuing to beat until whites form stiff peaks.
- Fold in the vanilla and chocolate chips.
- Spoon onto the prepared cookie sheets.
- Place the cookies into the preheated oven, shut the door and turn off the oven immediately.
- Let cookies sit in the turned off oven for 5 to 6 hours or overnight.